Tuesday, September 18, 2018

BURLESQUE COMICS by Dave Goode

I've mentioned in the past that I've been a fan of old-time burlesque and striptease since I saw the movie GYPSY as a preteen back in the 1960s. In my early twenties I started collecting mags like CABARET and MODERN MAN that featured articles and pictorials on burlesque and nightclub performers. It was also about this time that I started collecting SHERRY THE SHOWGIRL and SHOWGIRLS comics from Atlas Comics in the 1950s. As most comic book fans know Atlas was the name of the company that would become Marvel Comics in the 60s. I'm sure that the target audience for these Atom Age comics were adolescent boys. I mean the stories were just flimsy excuses to draw the female characters in cheesecake poses by legendary comic book artist Dan De Carlo.De Carlo was best known for his work at Archie Comics in the 1960s. 
 
And just how many comics were there out there in the 50s had a lead character who was a cabaret performer / showgirl ? Hmm. Just what was Torchy's occupation ?

A little while back my buddy Vance Capley and I introduced a character Miss Ginger Snaps. We put her in a strip with a character we called Pharaoh Love, a black bodybuilder. We then put her in two one - pagers of her own. We then decided to build a comic around her. Below is the first page of that comic. Give us some feedback on what you think. Is the world ready for a retro cheesecake comic strip?



Did you enjoy this weeks blog? Share it on social media with your friends or better yet, show your gratitude buy purchasing our fine products:

Tired of modern comics? Then click >>>>>HERE<<<<<< and buy ours!

Buying cool T-shirts and what not help support this blog!
Click >>>HERE<<< to see our latest designs! 


5 comments:

  1. I'm all for it! Nothing wrong with cheesecake in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.Vance does great "good girl" art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.Vance does great "good girl" art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world may not be ready for a retro cheesecake comic, but I am! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger hair with a ginger wig...life is goode ;)

    ReplyDelete