Wednesday, March 4, 2020

I KIND OF LIKED THE ORIGINAL COSTUME by Dave Goode

 
I've always been a fan of comic book heroes who didn't posses " powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man ". I found inspiration in costumed athletes like Daredevil from Marvel Comics. Especially from Daredevil. His origin got this former underweight asthmatic exercising. Which led me to lettering in three sports in high school. And making a couple of All - City teams in both track & field and wrestling.
 

Today , as a fan of masked wrestler movies I get a chuckle out of how when Daredevil first confronts the villain's hired thugs in Daredevil No. 1 ( April 1964 ) they mistake him for a costumed wrestler.  
 
 
 
 
The thing is the Man Without Fear's original costume resembled the one worn by acrobat / aerialist Jules Le'otard. Le'otard was the inspiration for the popular 19th century song The Flying Trapeze a.k.a The Man On The Flying Trapeze. And oh yes the leotard was named after him.




After taking over the art chores in Daredevil with issue number five , Wally Wood would redesign Daredevil's costume in Daredevil No.7 ( April 1965 ). This would be the iconic costume that the Man Without Fear wears to this day. But I kind of like the original costume. I'm not saying I prefer it. But it is after all something a circus acrobat , or if you will a daredevil , would wear.






 AND NOW ANOTHER AMAZING ADVENTURE OF MR. INCOGNITO!





1 comment:

  1. You Dr.Judo fans might recognize Mr.Incognito's sensei in this strip.And speaking of "strips". One of my favorite bits in Mexiluchahero movies is the night club acts.If I had the bucks to make one this would be the act I would feature.

    ReplyDelete