Tuesday, September 6, 2016

I'm Ready For The Remake by Dave Goode


If you're a fan-boy then you know what I'm talking about when I say that I can easily imagine favorite movies adapted to the comic book medium as easily as I can imagine favorite comic book stories adapted to the silver screen. For instance can't you picture adaptations of the John Wayne movies BACK TO BATAAN,THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA or THE GREEN BERETS drawn by Russ Heath,John Severin or Joe Kubert? Most of the time I'm imagining adaptations of masked wrestler movies. After all that genre has so many similarities to super-hero comics. But another movie I think that would be great as a comic book is THE BLOODY PIT OF HORROR a.k.a THE CRIMSON EXECUTIONER.


THE BLOODY PIT OF HORROR was a flick that had it's roots in Euro-pulps and Italian horror flicks like BLACK SUNDAY,THE WHIP AND THE BODY and THE VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA. It's a story that could easily be reimagined as a story published by Myron Fass. THE BLOODY PIT OF HORROR in fact sounds like the title for one of his horror comic book anthologies.


 
The movie stars former Mr.Universe winner Mickey Hargitay. And if this wasn't his best role he was at least perfectly cast. He plays Travis Anderson a "muscleman who formerly starred in costume movies". Mickey did the same. Most famously he portrayed Hercules in the camp classic THE LOVES OF HERCULES opposite his wife 50s icon Jayne Mansfield.


As Anderson, Mickey imagines himself to be the reincarnation of the Crimson Executioner an exceptionally sadistic member of the Inquisition. So when a group of models and photographers show up at his castle-home to take photos for foto-novel you know they're going to get more than they bargained for. Especially after Mickey starts dressing like the Crimson Executioner and delivering lines like "Mankind is made up of inferior creatures,spiritually and physically deformed,who would have corrupted the harmony of my perfect body." I can't speak for anyone else. But I'm ready for a remake.




3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of remakes.But if you set this one in the early to mid-60s I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.Anyone have any casting ideas for a remake.The lead would of course have to have a good physique.As far as the models that fall victim to the Crimson Executioner...I'm thinking about some of those girls famous for being famous like Kim Kardashian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how I feel about remakes, BUT I think Daniel Craig, while not as muscular as Hargitay, has, in my humble opinion of course, the right "look" for the Crimson Executioner. But again, I don't like remakes. I dig the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVKxOFKBsU

      Delete